Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It's All About the Network

I have officially graduated from UGA and now I'm on to attempting to become a grownup. Well, that process started tonight as I attended my 1st networking event with IABC Atlanta. After talking to my friend and recent Grady grad, Erin Burry, about the best way to go about finding a job, she recommended that I try out some of the various events Atlanta has to offer, and boy was she right.

Now for anyone who knows me well, walking into a room where I don't know anyone has never been a strength of mine. Anyone who knows me REALLY well also knows that up until a few years ago I was the painfully shy girl who rarely made a peep (and I had already chosen PR at this point in my life :)) Although, I have improved, and I am proud to say that speaking to strangers rarely lands on my terrifying list these days, the thought of going to an event with REAL adults, was still intimidating. Luckily, my major came with good contacts of its own, and it didn't take much convincing for fellow classmate, Lauren Montero to join me!

I first discovered a link to the event on Twitter from a friend and we immediately decided it could be fun and the perfect time to throw ourselves out there. The event included drinks and appetizers on the rooftop patio at Six Feet Under in Midtown, and since we still qualify for the student price, how could we pass up a few hours in beautiful weather watching the sunset over Atlanta and perhaps meet a few people in the process?!

The event turned out to be a lot of fun and very worthwhile. After quickly spotting Lizz Judd, a friend from the New Media Institute and networking event veteran, Lauren and I felt right at home. Quickly we even began talking to people and even capturing a few great business cards!

The event was a great success, and I cannot wait to do it all over again. Who says finding a job or being a grownup can't be fun!?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had fun! I'm going to have to introduce you to my friend Kelsey - she graduated in 2008 from Grady, and she's head of some committee for networking. I'll let you know when I move back into town and we'll set something up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome Wendy! When and why are you moving back? I didn't know you were making your way back to the east coast!

    ReplyDelete